After quite a bit of outcry from the community, it looks like turbo building has been returned back to normal in Fortnite!
The change made building the popular 90s in game much more of a headache. The change also had a negative effect on waterfalling, which is the process of building down quickly. While the change that caused the issue has been reverted, they’ve added a slightly different change. When a structure is destroyed, there’s a 0.15 second delay before another structure can be placed. This should hopefully make box fights a bit less reliant on latency.
The Turbo Build delay adjustments we made yesterday to subsequent structure pieces placed have been changed back to their previous value, 0.05 seconds. Your ability to perform “90s” and “waterfall” should feel exactly the same as it did before yesterday’s changes.
We’ve also added some of the “Next Steps” that were mentioned in yesterday’s Turbo Build Changes blog. Now when a structure is destroyed, there will be a delay of 0.15 seconds before another structure can be placed in the same location. If two or more players attempt to build a structure in the same location at the same time right after a piece has been destroyed, a random roll will now determine which player’s structure is placed. With this, we aim to reduce the impact that ping has on “taking a wall” as well as mitigate situations where spamming walls in the same location prevents all incoming damage to the defender.
- Turbo Building timing for placing subsequent pieces changed back to 0.05 seconds from 0.15 seconds.
- After a structure is destroyed, there will be a timer of 0.15 seconds before another piece can be placed in the same location.
- If two players are attempting to place a piece at the same time and location where a piece was just destroyed, a random roll will determine whose piece is placed, instead of ping playing such a large role.
Drop in now to try these changes!
It should be noted that Epic is still likely going to be tinkering with building in the near future. They discussed this further in a recent post explaining the original changes:
We’re working to implement the following further changes and will update you on social channels once they’re live.
- Replace initial building and turbo building delay with rate of fire logic
- First placement is instantaneous
- No way to build faster than a building piece every 0.15 seconds
- Note: By itself this doesn’t address defensive agency of turtling / low ping benefit
- Enforce rate of fire for contested pieces
- If a building piece is destroyed:
- Server waits 0.15 seconds before allowing rebuild
- Players attempting to rebuild the destroyed piece during that 0.15 seconds are added to a list
- There are several potential ways to pick the winner we’re exploring:
- Coin flip between people not currently owning the building piece
- Coin flip between everyone trying to build
- Favor person currently owning building piece
- At end of delay, place building piece
- Ensures that building piece replacement (“taking walls”) is not ping sensitive
- Ensures a minimum time between a wall being destroyed and replaced